Beloved candy canes; it is time to see you go!!!
If your house is overflowing with leftover candy canes, you are not alone! After the holidays, I seem to have endless piles of candy canes in all shapes and sizes.
Here are some simple ideas and recipes which will help you re-purpose those pesky canes into something delicious:
1. Make a candy cane Valentine’s Day card 2. Striped Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1/3 c oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c mini chocolate chips
Melted white chocolate for dipping
Crushed candy canes
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips. Scoop the batter into small balls and place onto the lined cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Press down slightly to flatten. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Drizzle with white chocolate and then dip into crushed candy canes. Let cool.
3. Use them as-is as coffee or hot cocoa stirrers.
4. Crush into a fine powder and line martini glass rims for a fun festive drink
5. Candy cane heart treats- Warm candy canes slightly, then bend them into a heart shape; use parchment to dry. Fill the center with melted white chocolate and then top with shaved or crushed peppermints/candy canes. These are adorable and yummy served next to coffee or cocoa.
6. Create heart cupcake toppers, perfect for Valentine’s Day
7. White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies
8. White chocolate peppermint popcorn
16 oz white chocolate
1 c finely crushed peppermints (food processor works wonders)
4 quarts popped popcorn
Slowly melt the white chocolate using either the microwave or a double boiler; constantly stirring. Stir ½ cup of the crushed peppermints into the white chocolate. Pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn in a large bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle with more crushed peppermints.
9. Peppermint whipped cream- yummy as a topping for cupcakes or cake
10. Candy Cane Cupcakes